Sunday, October 7, 2007

Subways: Commute Fresh

I really love subways. I take the Midosuji Red Line to work, from Shinkanaoka to Namba. It's a really nice twenty-minute ride becuse I don't have to transfer lines, so I can just enjoy my time with my iPod, a solid reading session, people watch, and practice my Hiragana on advertisements and the names of stops.




Why doesn't Los Angeles have a better subway system that expands further East than the freaking Gold Line to Pasadena. LA's just too big. I'd really like to live in the city instead of out in the 'burbs. Everything is too spread out, everyone's too rich, you never see people. But shit, LA being big should be no excuse. I mean the Bay Area is physically as widespread as LA is to the San Gabriel Valley and beyond, but you can still jump BART from Oakland to Downtown SF. I remember having a conversation with Jake Bowdoin, an old soul from Art Center College of Design, telling me that LA used to have an extensive trolley system but was halted due to the automotive, gas, and rubber lobbyists. And LA is the one city that needs it the most. Imagine the cut-down on smog in the valley, congestion on the freeways. Not to mention the safety and convenience externalities of having drunk people ride instead of drive. Wasted at 5 AM after partying all night? Have no fear, you can get home just fine.

You know when you ride subways and you can see down the whole train into other cabins too? I love that. That visual helps me realize the scope of it all and reminds of how much less of a negative environmental impact we make through mass transit rather than millions of one-person-one-car deals sitting on highways.

Public transportation builds community. It allows us to at the very least see the people with whom we share our city, our pride, our home. And at it's very best it's a channel to open random conversations, forums, and meet new people. Not to mention the exposure potentials for public art, grassroots politics, and underground musicians. One of my favorite stops is on my walk from Namba Station to the office building is seeing b-boys and b-girls dance on the streets, especially when big speakers are brought in on Saturdays. Hip Hop is alive in Osaka, people.

Knowing how to navigate a subway system is like being in a close relationship with your town. I'd be lying if I didn't say my heart beats twice in gratification every time I bust out my monthly pass entering and exiting the subway. Somehow I'm just more legit than people buying single tickets. I ride this madness daily, I flow through the veins and arteries of the city and we're getting to know each other better every day.

6 comments:

James said...

The problem lies in density. SF and Japanese cities are dense (stores and jobs and living spaces are close together) whereas southern California for a very long time encouraged sprawl. It's difficult (though not necessarily not worthwhile) to build a public transit system that spans the Los Angeles area.

vince said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vince said...

Density is a problem, but definitely not the one that is stopping LA-county-wide public transit. There are other forces at play, including but not limited to the lack of general public and political will. Alas.

Mountain Evan Chang said...

my sentiments too =) i miss shanghai's public transit

Daniel Brice said...

The central city and the westside are just as densly populated as Boston or Washington D.C. Those areas need a subway more than any other part of Los Angeles, but the other municipalities won't sign on to a plan that doesn't include their jurisdictions.

Nihon Scope said...

Holy cow I'm thankful for Fukuoka then!

Current time/date in Osaka:


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster